Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Uncomfortable Scripture

Today is the 15th and although I just submitted my first scripture verse yesterday I am playing catch up and needed to submit my second verse in today. That's alright--a little extra scripture memory never hurt anybody. 

I've also joined the ladies at She Reads Truth and am following them on their journey through "Fresh Start." I decided to use their choice of scripture from yesterday for mine on Siesta. I said something about uncomfortable scripture...oh right...

"Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is FAITHFUL."
-Hebrews 10: 23

Well that was simple, and beautiful. It is a verse that clearly states God is God--and when he makes a commitment he will follow through. I chose it because it fills me with such joy and appreciation to know that the bible says that God means what he says. In this verse it shows one side of that, our loving and merciful father. That once we are his we are his forever. What a promise! Salvation is never lost, hallelujah. 

So this is the tender God, the loving father that I tend to get in the habit of focusing on. I don't think I am the only one. But as the ladies at She Reads Truth said, our God is not all warm & fuzzies. Straight from their blog, "For those who hear the Word and turn away from it, who refuse to accept Jesus’ offer of salvation, “…no sacrifice for sins is left, but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God.” (Heb 10:26-27 NIV) That’s pretty heavy stuff. How often do we hear this in the same paragraph as a loving God?"
(Click on the word blog above, it takes you to their site, and it is SUCH a joy to follow these sisters, they are doing wonderful works for the Lord!)

It is so easy to think, surely God wouldn't send the good people to hell? But Jesus made it very clear, he did not create a task list or hurdles for us to jump over to reach heaven. He is the ONE AND ONLY way in. No amount of charity work nor fundraisers will get you in. I pray that this year allows us to look internally and really see the transformation Christ is creating us. If we're not changing, if we're trying to "good" our way into heaven. Well God have mercy on our ignorant souls and wake us up to the reality that we need Jesus. We will never be worthy on our own. 

Our kind words and actions should come from our sincere thankfulness for our salvation. Not a way to buy our ticket into heaven.

God bless,
Valerie

No comments:

Post a Comment